Create alerts in Slack
Use Slack as an alert source
Connect your Slack workspace with ilert first
Our integration for Slack lets you create alerts directly within Slack and streamlines your incident management process, making it even easier for your team and stakeholders to report incidents.
There are two ways to configure the alert creation feature in Slack:
- 2.Allow any Slack user to create an alert: This method requires the creation of a dedicated Slack alert source in ilert and allows you to control the Slack channels where users will be able to create an alert, to which escalation policy the alert is routed to and what notification priority is used.
Once you have our Slack app installed in your Slack workspace, any Slack user with an ilert account can create an alert from any channel by invoking the the
The user's permissions in ilert will be taken into account. Therefore, they will only see alert sources and escalation policies to which they have access to.
You can let any Slack user (even if they don't have an ilert account) create an alert from Slack. In order to control which teams they will be able to alert and control notification priority, you need to create a dedicated Slack alert source in ilert.
- 1.Go to Alert sources --> Alert sources and click on Create new alert source
- 2.Select Slack as the alert source type, give it a name, e.g. Slack alerts from channel xyz, select an escalation policy and click on Create.
- 3.In the next screen, click on the Slack settings tab to configure
- the Slack channels from where Slack users should be able to create alerts
- and the escalation policies that users can select from
- 4.Now any Slack user in your workspace will be able to create alerts from the configured channels. They will be limited to the pre-configured escalation policies and the alert creation will take into account whatever is configured in the alert source (e.g. notification priority and other alert actions). To create a new alert, use the following command in any of the configured channel
If an unauthorized user tries to create a new alert from Slack, the ilert bot for Slack requires the channel to be set in a Slack alert source in ilert. To fix this issue please follow the steps in Option 2.